- 2 onions
- 3 green bell peppers
- 4 to 5 lb leg of lamb; boned and cubed
- 1 tsp dried oregano; crumbled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves; minced
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 tomatoes, quartered
- Cut onions into quarters and separate layers. Cut peppers into quarters, and cut each quarter in half. Combine all ingredients, except tomatoes, in a shallow roasting pan, mixing well so that meat is completely coated. Marinate in refrigerator for several hours.
- Take out of refrigerator and let sit out about 20 minutes to come to room temperature. Before cooking, add tomatoes to marinade and mix well to coat with juices.
- Place meat cubes on skewers, alternating with green pepper slices, onion slices, and tomato wedges.
- Lay skewers in pan with marinade, turning several times. Put skewered lamb on a rack over pan containing marinade and place under preheated broiler. Turn several times during cooking and baste with marinade from pan. Cooking time depends on your taste; for medium rare allow about 15-18 minutes. Alternatively you can barbecue lamb using marinade as the basting sauce.
- Serve skewers on plates with rice pilaf.
Note: All laurels except sweet bay are poisonous