- Apply the fresh washed herb directly onto sores, closed eyes and wounds, or:
- Cook the greens and stalks, especially when using older plants or treating deeply. Cool before applying, or:
- Simmer chickweed in half water, half vinegar for about five minutes. Cool and apply.
- Cover chickweed with cotton towel or a thin layer of clay, and poultice for five minutes to three hours.
- Replace when the poultice feels hot to touch and oozes. (though most poultices are applied warm and removed when they are cool, chickweed poultices actually heat up as they draw out infection and heat.) Relief often begins within a few hours of the initial application, with pain and swelling diminishing steadily as treatments continue. Poultices used on infections must be disposed of after use. Poultices used on clean wounds and unbroken skin can be reused several times if chickweed is in short supply.