- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon, broken in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green finger-length chilli, slit lengthwise
- 300g basmati rice, washed, soaked for 30mins and drained
- 500ml water
- Pinch saffron strands soaked in 60ml hot milk
- 1 tsp salt
1. Heat the ghee or oil and fry the cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf until aromatic. Add the rice and stir-fry for a few seconds until the rice grains are coated with ghee.
2. Transfer to a rice cooker or saucepan and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to mix well.
3. Cook the rice mixture in the rice cooker or saucepan, and, when the rice is cooked, remove the whole spices, fluff up the rice and serve with curry and other accompaniments. Cooking time approx 25 mins.